Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Location Scouting or: How I Will Be Bartering With Mike in Five Hours

When I first wrote my script, I had a very particular location in mind: Revolution Live in Fort Lauderdale. It was perfect; it had multiple levels, cool lighting, stair, a couple of bars. The only problem was getting permission to film there.
Revolution Live
After numerous emails and phone calls went unanswered, I got the message. I had to start looking for a new venue. After contacting multiple local clubs and music venues, I got a few responses. The only problem was that they all wanted some kind of financial reimbursement. I understand why they want money, and to be honest they deserve it, but the problem is I simply cant afford it. I'm a high school student, and even though I work two jobs, I cant afford to pay $1,000 to make a project. I was out of options, so I had to change my script.

At first I considered setting it in a deli or convenience store, as I know people who would let me use their stores for free. But this idea seemed a little to close to "Clerks" for me to be comfortable.
I decided that the only way to cheer myself up was a trip to my local record store, Radio Active Records. So I drove out there and started flipping through the new arrivals (I ended up leaving with the Sleater-Kinney's "No Cities to Love" and Dinosaur Jr.'s "Dinosaur"). When I went to check out, I looked around the store, and it clicked. The open floor-plan and cool aesthetic of the store would be perfect for my film.
Radio Active Records
This gave me two problems:

  1. I would still need to get permission to use the space
  2. I would need to change my script so the new setting works
The second one wouldn't be that much of a problem. The opening scene could take place in any business, and the later scenes could be modified later. The first problem was the major one. So the next day I went to class and started working on an email. But not just any email, I was working on the most persuasive email ever written. This email would be so good, the owner of Radio Active (who is named Mike) would pay me to film in his store.

Well, it didn't quite end like that. The next day I got a call from Mike. He told me he had had people film in his tore, but had always charged them ($500 for friends, $1,000 for everyone else). Prepared for failure, I readied my "well thank you for your time," but then he told me something wonderful. He said that because we were high school students, he would let us film in his store in exchange for us doing something to promote it at our school. This was his form of bartering. 

So we arranged a meeting (6 pm today), and will be discussing specifics soon. Hopefully I can get the space without selling my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment